Saturday, October 10, 2009

Of Vampires, Werewolves and Immortality…my take on the Twilight Saga




I know I’m pretty outdated on this Twilight Saga phenomenon but the book series has left such a huge impact on me that I simply cannot not blog about it……I practically think, eat, dream and breathe vampire now! (Ok, maybe not literally eat and breathe like a vampire but my husband has complained of seeing me attacking my regular consumption of concentrated cherry juice as if it’s like the vampire’s favourite meal…).

Anyway, some of my equally out-dated friends have yet to finish the series, so I’m not going to spoil it for them by talking too much about the storyline. But as an introduction to those who’ve never heard of the Saga (you’ve got to be an ultimate “katak-under-the coconutshell” to fall under this category), the book is largely based on the romantic relationship between a teenage human girl (Bella Swan) and a vampire who has been stuck at the age of 17 for the past 100 years (Edward Cullen). Their relationship takes on various challenges that threaten their very existence; Edward’s precarious balance between the lust to drain Bella empty of her sweet blood and protecting her with his life, the threat of the wolves and their bond to Bella, and the even bigger danger of the other covens of vampires drawn to the peculiarity of Edward and Bella’s relationship.

If you have heard about how great the Saga is but just haven’t found the time to read it, allow me to share the reasons why you should just grab the first book now and start flipping to Page 1 right away:

1) Once you start, you can’t stop. The book will start holding your attention from page 25 onwards, all the way to page 754 of the 4th book.

2) It’s any easy read…simple prose, yet a storyline so fascinating, you’d never guess it was a Saga meant for young-adult fiction.

3) Edward Cullen is akin to a Greek God…it’s impossible not to fall in love with him (the series will get you fantasising about him 24-7 and wishing he would just bite you already).

4) Despite being a love story, this is no Mills and Boon. There’s enough drama and nail-biting action to keep you in suspense throughout.

5) Bella’s klutzy and nonchalant character will get you in stitches…(she’s rather funny and extremely adorable!)

6) If you’re not into charming, smooth-talking, suave vampires, then you will definitely fall for Jacob, the bad boy-cum-wolf of the Quileute tribe…

and last but not least….

7) Anne Rice is getting old and Lestat is just too self-absorbed….Stephenie Meyer is definitely the new master vampire storyteller you don’t want to miss…


"About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was part of him — and I didn’t know how potent that part might be — that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him".Bella Swan, Twilight, Chapter 9, p.195


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails