Sunday, June 27, 2010

Dead and Gone


Title: Dead & Gone (Book #9)

Author: Charlaine Harris

Genre: Paranormal

First Published: 2009, 312 pages

Challenge: The Sookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge


From the Cover:
The vamps have been out for years, and now the weres and shifters have decided to follow the lead of the undead and reveal their existence to the ordinary world. Sookie Stackhouse already knows about them, of course - her brother turns into a panther at the full moon, she's friend to the local were pack, and Sam her boss at Merlotte's bar, is a shapeshifter.

The great revelation goes well at first - then the horribly mutilated body of a were-panther is found in the parking lot of Merlotte's, and Sookie agrees to use her telepathic talent to track down the murderer. But there is a far greater danger than the killer threatening Bon Temps: a race of unhuman beings, older, more powerful and far more secretive than the vampires or the werewolves is preparing for war. And Sookie is an all-too human pawn in their ages-old battle...

My Thoughts:
Of all the books in the series, this has to be the most chair-gripping one todate. As usual, Harris throws in a few plots all at once; there's one on the mysterious were-panther murderer, one on the power struggle between the two fairy clans and last but definitely not least, an insight into the complex love life of Ms Sookie Stackhouse.

I have to say that Harris just topped herself this time with the chilling account on the fairy war. Harris managed to dispel the idea that fairies were all pretty and glowing inside. Who would've thought fairies could be so sinister and scary?! I loved it. It was completely intense; thrilling to the very last drop and quite emotional. What was a little disappointing though (just a teeny bit), was the unfinished business of Sookie's love life. Though it sounded like Eric might have been THE ONE, the sudden re-introduction of Bill Compton in a big way completely threw off that idea. So, who will be the lucky Vamp? Or will Sookie leave both of them in the dark and settle with someone more of her own kind? Questions I'm hoping will be answered real soon...guess we'll just have to wait and see then.  

This book completes my Sookie Stackhouse Challenge, hosted by Beth at Beth Fish Reads. First Challenge for the year over and done with. Hurray!


5 comments:

Desert Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Desert Rose said...

Great review, I'm so in love with this series.
I loved this book, I have the same questions and wonder who Sookie will settle with in the end.
I will be adding the link of your review to mine if you don't mind :)

The link to my review is here

http://desertrosebooklogue.blogspot.com/2010/02/dead-and-gone-by-charlaine-harris.html

Jan von Harz said...

As much as I love True Blood, I have never read this series. and there are just so many I doubt I will ever get to it. Love the review though.

Laura @ I'm Booking It said...

Congratulations on finishing the challenge!

I've resigned myself to Sookie's love life never being settled as long as the series continues. Sigh.

The Bookworm said...

Great review.
I read the first in the series and enjoyed it, I need to catch up.

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails